Roast Pumpkin Stuffed with Prawn Stew
1 Crown Pumpkin (medium size)
500g Prawn Cutlets (cleaned and de-veined)
1 Large Brown Onion (diced)
6 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp Jalapenos (chopped)
1 Capsicum (diced)
4 Large Ripe Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
100g Cream Cheese
1tsp Ground Cumin
1Tbsp Ground Sumac
¼ Cup Fresh Coriander (chopped)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. To begin pre heating oven to 180c fan bake.
2. We then need to wash and hollow out the pumpkin. To do this cut off the top and scoop out all the seeds with a kitchen spoon and scrape down the inside, to create a small hollow.
3. Lightly season the inside of pumpkin with salt and pepper, wrap in foil & place it cut side down on a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes just until it begins to become soft and tender. You don’t want to fully cook the pumpkin at this stage as it won’t be able to hold its structure. Remove from oven and unwrap.
4. While the pumpkin is cooking, we can begin to make the prawn stew filling. In a large pan on medium heat add olive oil and onions, sauté onions until golden 2-3 minutes. Then add in the garlic and jalapenos and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, followed by the diced capsicum, cumin, and sumac, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the prawns to the pan and toss, lightly cook for 1 minute (we do not want to over cook the prawns as they will be baked again in the oven). We can then add the fresh tomatoes season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down. Remove from heat and finish with fresh coriander.
5. Now to assemble the pumpkin. Place the pumpkin on a baking tray with a spatula spread the cream cheese inside the pumpkin, trying to cover the whole cavity. Spoon the prawn stew into the pumpkin and return it to the oven for another 20 minutes. The cheese will melt, and pumpkin will become nice and tender.
6. Remove from oven and finish with some fresh coriander. Serve with rice or bread and enjoy.