Parisian Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables
Updated: Feb 10, 2022
300g Bakers Flour
2 tsp Salt
Ground Black Pepper
¼ tsp Nutmeg (grated)
50g Grated Parmesan
2 Zucchinis (diced)
100g Broad Beans (blanched and skins removed)
1tbsp Sage (ripped)
1tbsp Pine Nuts
1. We will start by making the dough (choux pastry) for the gnocchi, sift the flour into a medium bowl and set aside. In a large saucepan heat the milk, 100g of butter, salt, and grated nutmeg, until it reaches a boil, ensuring the butter is fully melted. Turn to a low heat.
2. Add the sifted flour to the saucepan and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to combine. The mix will ball up and pull away from the side of the pot. Lower the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes to cook out the raw flour.
3. Once the flour pulls away from the sides of the pot we can start to incorporate in the eggs. Turn off the heat, and crack the six eggs into a bowl, add two eggs at a
time into the dough making sure to stir vigorously the whole time, once the dough starts to come together again it will form a ball again that’s when you know you are ready to add the next two eggs and repeat the process twice. Once all 6 eggs have been incorporated, finish the dough with the grated parmesan cheese and continue mixing until it forms a nice glossy ball. Place the finished dough into a pipping bag and get ready to poach them.
**Pro tip: incorporating the eggs can be done in a stand cake mixer or kitchen aid with a paddle mixer attachment, it’s a lot easier on the wrists. Just remove the dough from the saucepan and follow the remaining instructions.**
4. To cook the gnocchi, fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil, season well with salt.
Pipe the dough into the water, cutting it with a knife every centimeter. Do this in a couple of batches, so they don’t stick together.
Poach these gnocchi for 2 minutes, or until the gnocchi rises to the surface of the water.
Transfer to the gnocchi to an oiled tray and set aside to cool.
5. To finally finish up the dish, heat a large fry pan to medium high heat, add oil and the diced zucchini and sauté until lightly caramelized. Then add in your gnocchi and cook of 2 minutes or until golden brown on one side. Add in the remaining butter, sage and pine nuts and sauté for 3-5 minutes season with salt and black pepper.
6. To plate make a nice mound of Gnocchi in the center of the plate and liberally garnish with grated parmesan. And enjoy!