1 Whole Tarakihi Approx. 1kg or substitute to any other white flaky fish (gutted and scaled)
1 Knob Ginger (julienned)
1 Shallot (sliced)
2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Dark Soy Sauce
2 Tsp Sesame Oil
½ Tsp White Sugar
2 Spring Onion (thinly sliced into rounds)
2 Tbsp Peanut Oil
2 Heads Bok Choy (cut into quarters)
1. Begin by prepping the fish. With kitchen scissors remove the fins and trim the tail, give the fish a rinse under cold water making sure to clean the cavity thoroughly. With a paper towel pat the fish dry and score the skin on both sides. Season the fish by rubbing salt all over, including the cavity. Place fish in a heat proof dish and spread the ginger and shallots over the top and in the cavity. Allow to rest for 10 – 15 mins before steaming.
2. Place a steamer or a wire rack in a deep pan or wok. Fill the pan with water just below the wire rack or steamer pot and bring to the boil.
For the sauce combine the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar and pour over the fish. Place the fish in the heat proof dish in the steamer and steam for 10-12 mins until fish flakes easily, for the last 5 minutes off cooking add the Bok Choy.
3. Remove fish from steamer and transfer to a serving platter pouring the sauce from the heatproof dish over the fish.
4. For the final garnish,in a small pot heat up the peanut oil until it reaches smoking point. Throw in the sliced spring onion the spoon the hot mixture over the fish (this will need to be done quickly otherwise the spring onion will burn).
5. Serve with steamed white rice, for the perfect sharing meal.